Menu Entry 'Test' not showing in VS 2005

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I have te problem, that after installing CPUT i cant add unit test because i dont have the menu entry 'Test' anywhere. The IDEs Add-In Manager says that it is available, but i cant access it in any way. I also downloaded the sourcecode. Is there anyway, i can give you more information so as to find out, why the menu entry is missing, like a log file or something?

OS is windowsXP professional with the latest service pack installed and Visual Studio 2005 professional edition.

greetz,

tschubai

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM

The simplest way to restore the Test menu is to call Tools\Import and Export Settings… dialog and there select Reset all settings. (Be aware if you have your own changes they would be lost).

But if you don’t really want to have Test in the main menu you could change the CConnect::CreateButtons function line

SUCCEEDED(spMenuBarControls->get_Item(CComVariant(L"Test")

to SUCCEEDED(spMenuBarControls->get_Item(CComVariant(L"Tools")

and then build the CputAddin project (CputAddin8.vcproj). After Visual Studio reloading new commands would be placed in the Tools’ sub menu.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hi Sergey,

resetting the Import and Export Settings did not work for me. The other way proved to be almost exactly what i needed to do. See i dont have an english version of VS 2005 but a german one =8). So i had to change 'Tools' to 'Extras' and now i have everthing in the extras menu, allthough it would be nicer to have it on a standalone basis. So it seems that the way you programmed the addin, it works out of the box with english versions, but not with other language versions of VS 2005. Looking forward to seeing the next version of the addin.

I took a look at the google unit test framework before i checked out yours and i decided to give yours a try because it is just that convenient to be able to do all the test stuff inside and with the support of the IDE. If i can assist you with anything programming or testingwise =;)  feel free to contact me.

regards,

tschubairas

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Hello!

I can confirm the above problem, it is very much the same with my installation:

• No "Test"-menu and thus no functionality, though the addin is activated.
  • Resetting all settings to defaults didn't change a thing.
  • I didn't have time and wanted to fidle with the source, so I didn't try relocating the menu items.

The only difference here is, I *do* have an english Version of VS2005 with all security updates installed! So I guess the language version is not the problem but it's something else. I do have installed some other addins in parallel but this should not influence cput, should it?

If you could fix the menu problem I would be happy to retry cput but for now I have uninstalled it again, I'd like to keep my machine as lightweight as possible.

Regards

G.

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Hello Gassur,

I made a new build to address this problem from build 1.3.28 the cput addin will register the main menu command in the Tools submenu if the Test one is unavailable. Also I’ve added support for localized Visual Studios.